The AFL has resisted calls to delay this year’s Grand Final to a twilight start, but the showpiece game appears destined for a new timeslot post-2017.
But a twilight decider remains firmly on the table, according to AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan.
There’s a sense of inevitability but it’s not 2017,
McLachlan told the ABC.
McLachlan admitted earlier this month a twilight grand final had broad fan acceptance, with several AFL captains including Scott Pendlebury, Nat Fyfe and Joel Selwood also offering support.
It has been argued a later start could grow the audience, and therefore sponsorship.
McLachlan said stakeholder consultation was extensive and included clubs and players.
Richmond captain Trent Cotchin was non-committal when asked his reaction to the decision.
Afternoon footy’s always nice when the sun’s out for whoever it is who’s playing, I think when the AFL powers asked most of the captains, we all said if we’re in the grand final, we don’t really care when it’s played.
Cotchin told Melbourne radio station SEN on Friday.