All square on the siren

Wells waltzes into goal
Collingwood goes coast-to-coast and Daniel Wells finishes the goal


Tom Phillips wonders what could have been after the final siren at the MCG. Image: AFL Photos.

Collingwood and Adelaide have played out a thrilling draw after Crow Mitch McGovern kicked a goal after the siren to level the scores.

It was a devastating moment for the Magpies who looked to have survived a huge comeback from Adelaide after the Crows recovered from a 50-point deficit early in the third quarter.

The Crows drew within three points in a dramatic final quarter but the Magpies looked to have held off the fast finishing Crows with three quick goals to drag the lead back out to 21 points.

The Crows would not go away, though, and kicked the next three goals before the Magpies hit the post twice as it pushed its slender lead out to six points.

McGovern then took a huge pack mark just seconds before the final siren and then kicked truly for scores to be level with Collingwood kicking 15.13 (103) to Adelaide’s 16.7 (103).

It was McGovern’s fourth goal in an outstanding performance in the second half.

It was a remarkable game as the Magpies opened up a 50-point lead just two minutes into the third quarter and appeared home for all money before Adelaide kicked nine of the next 10 goals to draw within three points.

With all the momentum, the Crows looked set to record the biggest comeback win in their history but a mark and goal to Ben Reid steadied the ship before Jarryd Blair kicked a snap goal to restore a 15-point lead.

When Daniel Wells, who had been best on ground, kicked a third for the Magpies in a minute and a half, the game was back in their hands with 11 minutes remaining.

Wells was brilliant, inspiring the Magpies with his first half performance that saw him grab 14 disposals and make use of almost every one of them, creating scoring chances and giving the Magpies midfield confidence.

He finished with three goals and equalled his career high 34 disposals and received excellent support from Taylor Adams, who kicked three first-half goals, and Steele Sidebottom, who had 33 possessions.

The Crows, however, were playing on at all costs in the second half and could not be denied, finding space as the Magpies stopped to a walk.

Two goals to Andy Otten and one to Brodie Smith ensured the result would go down to the final siren, which it did in the end when McGovern kicked truly from directly in front.

Levi Greenwood blanketed Rory Sloane, restricting him to just 16 touches while Matt Crouch picked up the slack with 36 touches.

The result leaves the Crows one game clear on top of the ladder and kills off any slim hopes the Magpies had of making finals.

It was only the second draw in the Crows history but the third draw for the season, the most in a season since 2011.  


 Jamie Elliott has battled an ankle problem all season and he appeared to battle it for most of the game although he played out the game. Tom Langdon copped a heavy knock but played on after being checked out.

Adelaide: Alex Keath hurt his wrist in the third quarter but he returned after receiving treatment.


Adelaide will have a bruising encounter in the Showdown against Port Adelaide while Collingwood plays North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium on Saturday night.  

COLLINGWOOD  4.3    9.6    12.9  15.13 (103)                  
ADELAIDE           2.1    3.4    10.4  16.7 (103)          

Adams 3, Wells 3, Reid 2, Blair 2, Hoskin-Elliott, Thomas, Elliott, Moore, Treloar
Adelaide: McGovern 4, Jenkins 3, Otten 2, Lynch, Seedsman, Walker, Cameron, Mackay, Knight, Smith

Wells, Sidebottom, Adams, Howe, Moore 
Adelaide: Crouch, Walker, Smith, McGovern, Douglas, Jenkins, Mackay

Blair (nose)
Adelaide: Keath (wrist)

Reports: Nil

Umpires: Margetts, Meredith, Ryan 

Official crowd: 33,269 at the MCG

Source: Collingwood FC’s website


Ladbrokes $500 AFL Bonus Bet

Willaim Hill $502 AFL Bonus Bet!

Luxbet AFL Bonus Bet